Sunday, February 13, 2011

Priveledges - Not Rights

So, living in Spain has helped me to appreciate some of the privileges I have enjoyed in the past now that I have learned to do without in some cases. Here are some of the things that have made the list:

1. Pleasant showers
2. Shaving
3. Doing my hair
4. Boneless-skinless anything
5. Not being stared at. Turns out that staring shamelessly at people is totally acceptable here. Everywhere we go men and women of all ages seem to find nothing more interesting than staring right at you. The weird thing is, they don't even look away when you meet their eyes.
6. Toilet paper - apparently it is not a necessity everywhere as an lovely old lady obligingly informed us one day
7. Being able to understand at least 87% of what people around me are saying
8. Dog-poo free streets

More excitingly, in no particular order these are some of the things I am taking advantage of now that I will miss terribly when I return:

1. Cute people in their golden years walking around town at all hours and talking to you
2. Said elderly people sporting hair in all colors of the rainbow (my favorites are old lady blue and magenta)
3. The same people walking around in full length fur coats of all colors and styles
3. Beautiful buildings older than 200years
4. Everyone around me speaking a language that I love to hear and learn
5. Being able to enjoy every second of a road trip because the landscapes look like they were created to take you breath away
6. Fresh food markets where everything is cheaper and more delicious than in the U.S. of A.
8. Having someone else do my laundry and make me amazing ten star quality food
9. Having a second family in Spain
10. Being able to walk or easily take the metro/train everywhere I want to go
11. Cheese.
12. Seeing original pieces of famous and less-famous-but-still-amazing art

No comments:

Post a Comment