Monday, March 7, 2011

Holy Toledo!


So, we went to Toledo for a day because it turns out it is only about an hour away from where we live. Anyway, you better believe we took advantage of the opportunity to say, "Holy Toledo!" as much as possible. This angry little sunflower greeted me when I reached the top of the gigantic outdoor escalator that takes you up to the city and I couldn't pass him up.



This is the main Toledo Cathedral. Toledo is actually pretty small and the entire old city is literally on a hill. On that hill there are multiple mosques, synagogues, cathedrals, and other chapels. There was a time when Toledo was the national example for harmony between religions. Perhaps that is where the expression came from.

Whoops! Another sneaky shot of Michelle and her cuteness.



More cool stuff about Toledo: It is famous for Housing El Greco's Masterpiece "The funerary service of Saint Orgaz" which we saw and it was amazing! I have seen several of his paintings here and there is a reason that is considered his masterpiece. It was phenomenal to see it in person. Toledo is also famous for Marzipan which we tried and it was delicious. We also saw a giant replica of the Cathedral facade made entirely of Marzipan. They are also famous for making swords and armor and all that jazz and for this beautiful jewelry. Basically anything cool with metalwork happens here. It was a blast to check everything out, but sadly I couldn't fit a sword in my backpack, so I had to go without.


Ok, so this isn't in Toledo, but here are my feet on the church building floor. We have class there every Monday as well, so I figured I shouldn't leave it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment